Having a positive impact on the planet is a core part of our mission to improve the world’s health through coffee.
We are dedicated to responsible and sustainable business practices, investing in the communities and people we impact, and promoting best practices for environmental conservation. We’re convinced everything we keep natural and sustainably healthy is going to reflect in the final product and it’s going to reflect in your health.
Investing in the First Mile
To truly maximize health benefits, we knew we needed to expand beyond just finding sustainable farm partners. We needed to invest in the process right from the start. By owning this first mile in the production process through Purity Coffee Farms Montebonito, Colombia, we can ensure that 100% of the decisions are made in the best interest of health. Hear from our farm manager, Francisco Tamayo:
industry leading recognition
Our coffee is produced in accordance with the highest standards for health and sustainability.
The path to sustainability
From the farm...
Purity has been purchasing green coffees from the same producers since we started our business, working with farmers who follow environmentally-responsible practices, including regenerative and biodynamic farming. While many companies might choose a single farm to promote traceability, we maintain relationships with multiple conscientious producers that are fully traceable, with whom we maintain open communication throughout the year. In order to support the communities we engage with, Purity offers competitive compensation for green coffees that exceed Fair Trade standards.
In 2022 we invested in our first coffee farm and have begun collaborating with our other producers, to combine our efforts to grow the healthiest coffee possible year after year. We are currently going through the certification process with our regeneratively-farmed land to meet all the standards we’ve set for Purity Coffee®. Over time, we plan on using this farm to build a model for the sustainable production of great tasting, healthy, regeneratively-grown coffee.
To your pantry
As a perishable consumer packaged goods company, our packaging is one way that we can directly impact our carbon footprint.
Many Purity Coffee® products are already fully recyclable:
- Purity Pods™, their lids, and the box they come in are completely recyclable and the pod capsules are manufactured from post-consumer plastic.
- Pocket Purity™ cartons and sachet packaging are recyclable and the sachet itself is made from a biodegradable and vegetable based woven material called polylactic acid.
- In 2022, we started the process to transition all of our coffee bags to a recyclable plastic that has over 50% post-consumer content. We plan on transitioning to these bags in mid-2024 in an effort to make our complete catalog fully recyclable.
With the current limitations of commercial composting and biodegradable materials, we believe supporting a circular economy of recycled materials is the most responsible decision we can make at this time.
In 2022, we worked with Radicle/Climate Smart to audit our carbon footprint and set a baseline for reduction. We recognize our impact on the Planet and take responsibility to reduce and offset our footprint. We’ve purchased offsets not only for our direct impact but we’ve also assumed the carbon inventory of our key suppliers to account for our global impact.
We seek to reduce our footprint through new and innovative practices as well. We are currently experimenting with biochar—which is produced by the burning of plant waste product. When used as a soil additive, it sequesters carbon in the soil and prevents it from leaching into the atmosphere. We’re committed to continually re-examining how new developments in our operations can further our sustainable practices.
the journey continues
No matter how hard we try and how much ground we gain, there is always work to be done to improve our efforts towards becoming climate-neutral (and eventually climate-positive). Our team meets regularly to assess and improve our sustainability efforts, as well as set sustainability goals that are measurable and verifiable, and we will continue to report on our progress and areas for improvement.
1 Year Plan
- Offsets for 2021 will be purchased to be certified carbon neutral.
- B-Corp certification completed.
- 2022 offsets purchased for carbon neutral certification.
- 2021 & 2022 ESG reports published.
- Dedicated space for Sustainability on our website/content.
3 Year Picture
- Purity Coffee is certified carbon neutral with a baseline of our first year in business.
- All products have carbon footprints that include all aspects of the supply chain.
- Our farm, Montebonito, is certified carbon-negative with an established baseline of 2022.
- Purity Coffee has a carbon budget for each line item on our GL and as a percentage of sales.
“Environmental sustainability has become a core principle of Purity, and the regenerative organic movement is our guide. It is holistic, involving soil health, biodiversity, animal welfare, and fair wages and working conditions”
ANDREW SALISBURY, FOUNDER